Thursday, July 21, 2011

Must Watch! Cinemalaya 2011: Ang Babae Sa Septic Tank


So... the title didn't sound like this movie was something I was going to enjoy when I first read about it, but, boy, was I wrong.

I love this film!

In this hilarious take on the world of indie film making, we go through a day in the life of a trio of film makers (played by JM De Guzman, Kean Cipriano, and Cai Cortez) as they try to put together their film which they are sure will bring them all the way to the Oscars. Over "expressos", they discuss and argue about the casting, the editing, and the treatment - resulting in different versions of basically the same scene. In all of these scenes, Eugene Domingo shines as she plays herself and as Mila, the character in the film within the film. She'll get you laughing uproariously and also be drawn to the drama at the same time. She definitely deserves a Best Actress award for this. I became a fan!

I have to say that this is one of the best Filipino films I've watched. It's been a long time since I've watched a movie that so entertained me that I want to see it again after watching it. Laughing, clapping, and even sniffling a little bit - I did all that as I watched the movie. The audience I was with also felt the same and we clapped as the credits rolled. (Though stay a little bit longer after the credits because there's an additional scene.)

I definitely recommend this movie to everyone and, like the film makers in the movie, hope that this film makes it to mainstream cinema or even outside our shores. Filipinos would enjoy the film for the comedy and film makers - amateur or not - will definitely learn a few lessons from this.

No comments :

Post a Comment