Sunday, July 10, 2011

The luckiest man on the face of the earth...



No offense to Lou Gehrig who has my total respect... But last night at the New Yankee Stadium, I would greatly argue that Derek Jeter held that title.

Jeter has always been my favorite player and it was no question that even if I am halfway around the world and their games play at one in the morning most of the time, I will stay up for his 3,000th hit. Yes, I am that obsessed. Everyone in my home was already sleeping, but I was up in front of my computer, clapping and jumping around like I was there. Hell, there may even be a few tears that escaped.

It was like something out of a Hollywood movie. Well, Jeets always had the movie-star looks (and have dated some starlets for that matter) and has the personality of a true hero. One of the things I like about him is that he's a decent person outside the field and has the respect of baseball players even from other teams. But I was still in shock when he hit a freakin' home run for his 3,000th! He almost never hit home runs! Oh my God. Ate Nan and my cousin told me later that they heard me going loco - I don't know if my neighbors heard it too. 2 AM in the morning and I was going craaaaazy chanting "Derek Jeter! Derek Jeter!" along with the bleacher creatures. And then he hit a triple for his third hit and I was ecstatic at the thought I might see a cycle for the first time and cross it out of my list. He didn't get the cycle, but he went 5 for 5! He was unstoppable, unbeatable and, he's LEGEN... wait for it... DARY! To cap it all off, the Yankees win. Theeeeeeee Yankees win!

So many things to mention about that game: Second player ever to hit a homer for his 3,000th; First player (I guess) who hit 5 for 5 in a game with his 3,000th hit; Something something consecutive hits including 3,000th; First Yankee ever to get 3,000 hits; 11 player to hit 3,000 on the same team... And the guy who caught the ball - Christian Lopez, the second luckiest man on the stadium that night, has the respect of everyone for giving back the ball and not asking anything in return. Of course he got first class seats for the rest of the season plus other goodies, anyway.

This is definitely one of my favorite games EVER and I am so glad I shelled out for that MLB.TV subscription. I'm still hoping I will be able to see a perfect game this season but this game made it all worth it.

God, I love this game.

No comments :

Post a Comment