Sunday, October 2, 2011

Manga Realities


I don't know many people who like to go to museums nowadays. It may be that our country hasn't got an impressive collection like in other countries, but young people today would rather go to malls or watch movies instead of paying to look at paintings and stuff.

I live a few blocks aways from Ayala Museum in Makati, yet I've only been there twice. The first time was with my friend, just to get it off the list of the things we always put off doing because it's always there. The second time was the day before my birthday to catch the Manga Realities exhibit.

I'm an avid fan of anime and manga. As soon as I saw Nodame on the poster, I immediately made up my mind to go.


I loved looking at Tomoko Ninomiya’s Nodame Cantabile exhibit because I simply love the series. This was the one that made me listen to classical music and watch those orchestra performances. Nodame is one of my favorite characters in manga/anime and her love story with music and Chiaki-senpai is just so wonderful.

Other series displayed in the exhibit were Harold Sakuishi’s BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad (which I'm currently watching and enjoying right now), Solanin (Asano Inio), Sugar Sugar Rune (Anno Moyoco), Children of the Sea (Igarashi Daisuke), Five Minutes from the Station (Kuramochi Fusako), Sennen-Gaho (Kyo Machiko), No. 5 (Matsumoto Taiyo), and The World God Only Knows (Wakaki Tamiki).

I discovered something from the exhibit and that was Kyo Machiko's Sennen-Gaho. 


 I looooove it! The work is very visual so you don't need to read Japanese to understand it. It's just a small comic that usually has a surprise in the end. 




Sorry for the sucky quality of the pictures. I was only using my (also) sucky phone. I didn't bring a camera because I wasn't sure if taking photos was allowed. But the author has already released a book of her previous works and it is now one of my wishes to have that book. For more of her works, check out her blog.

My second discovery was Solanin. I haven't read this one yet, but I'm planning to just basing on the words that were printed on the exhibit.


One of the best parts of the exhibit was the manga section. I almost cried when I saw their collection. Monster! Nodame Cantabile! Sennen Gaho! Ouran! All in English! So unfair! You can't read all those in just one museum visit!




Manga Realities sadly ends today, October 2. But the good thing is that all the manga is forever there in cyberspace, bookstores, and screens. There's a whole world out there that people might be missing because they think that manga is just comics for kids. I dare you to say that after reading Urasawa Naoki's works. It will blow. your. mind.

And now, a pic spam...




 Hehe... feeling like I'm part of the manga.






Somebody just had a decorating idea! (That somebody is me, btw)

I didn't steal this. Even though I want it. Badly.

And finally, my alone/selca shots using the secondary camera mode. Blurry!



***

Organized by the Ayala Museum and the Japan Foundation in cooperation with the Contemporary Art Center, Art Tower Mito in Japan, the traveling exhibition Manga Realities: Exploring the Art of Japanese Comics Today will be on view at the Ayala Museum from 16 August to 2 October at the Ground Floor Gallery and at the Glass Lane and Luna and Amorsolo Rooms at the Third Floor.

Ayala Museum
The Japan Foundation, Manila

No comments :

Post a Comment