Friday, April 8, 2011

It sounds better in French



I was in Glorietta about two weeks ago, browsing on one of the stores, when I heard a song playing in the background. I was instantly charmed by it but had no idea what the song was or who was the artist behind it. It was French, that much I knew. Being curious, I didn't hesitate to go to one of the salesladies and asking about their in-house music. After checking, she told me that it was an artist by the name of Joyce Jonathan. Kind of unusual and, most of all, unfamiliar name to me. I immediately typed it in on my mobile phone's notepad so I could check on it later.

It was only yesterday that I remembered about it and even forgot if I was able to store the name. Dreading the thought of going back to the store just to ask for the name again, I checked my phone and was relieved to see that I was able to take note of it.

After fully listening to Joyce Jonathan's "Je Ne Sais Pas", I knew that I found another artist that I was really going to like. Besides her sweet voice, she also plays the guitar AND writes her own lyrics. I've always been a sucker for singer songwriters and with lovely lyrics like "How could I tell you, I don't wanna lie to you, you attract me, and this is where lies the true heart of the problem.." - how could I possibly not turn into a fan?

So check her out and if, like me, you don't speak the very romantic French language, here's a translation of the song "Je Ne Sais Pas" courtesy of purplelunacy in Lyrics Translate:

I don't know

There are some words which embarrass me, hundreds of words, thousands of same old things that are never the same

How could I tell you, I don't wanna lie to you, you attract me, and this is where lies the true heart of the problem

Your pride, your whims, your kisses, your pleasures, your desires, torments, I really don't see where this is getting us

So we pull ourselves together, it's not the end of our world
And we wrongly question ourselves again one last time

I don't know how to tell you, I'm afraid to screw up everything, to ruin everything
A lot of ideas to clarify from way back
But I've always been leaving my feelings behind

I sometimes think that I'm wrong staying so passive, but you look at me, I devour you
And it's sometimes too hard to distinguish love
My friend, my lover, my love and even more

So we pull ourselves together, it's not the end of our world
And we wrongly question ourselves again one last time

I don't know how to tell you, I'm afraid to screw up everything, to ruin everything
A lot of ideas to clarify from way back
But I've always been leaving my feelings behind
(x 2)

I want just you with flaws and your manufacturing problems
I want just you, I don't want a fake, no forgery
I don't want to return you to get another
I don't want to sell you up for one or two mistakes
I want your words, I want your skin, it's never too much
I don't want you anymore, I changed my mind. I've seen another one a bit better-looking*
I don't want, don't want anymore, never wanted
And who are you, I don't know you, you must've been dreaming, it wasn't me
My confusions, you know them, let's give up

How to tell you, I'm afraid to screw up everything, to ruin everything
A lot of ideas to clarify from way back
But I've always been leaving my feelings behind

I don't know how to tell you, I'm afraid to screw up everything, to ruin everything
A lot of ideas to clarify from way back
But I've always been leaving my feelings behind
(x 2)

No comments :

Post a Comment