Thursday, June 23, 2011

Waiting on Mr. Mayer

Ask me who my favorite poet is and I won't say Robert Frost or Walt Whitman. Mine goes by the name of John Clayton Mayer and he's a Grammy-winning musician.

Sure, he's produced lyrics like "Your body is a wonderland..." but this guy is also capable of giving us lines that make me think, "Man, I know exactly what he means... but he just said it better than I ever could." I never get tired of listening to his words and music and somehow, each of his songs resonate at some point in my life.

Mr. Mayer removed himself from Twitter stating that he wanted to focus on making new music, and things have been generally quiet from him (save from a tabloid article or two). Now, there are rumors that he's going to release an album this year entitled Born And Raised. I've also been checking up on YouTube where videos of him performing new songs on small stages have been popping up. Waiting has been hard, but from the sounds of these songs, it's going to be one heck of an album.

Here are only some of his new unrecorded songs that might appear on the album:

1. Born and Raised (Obviously the title track, if the rumors are true)



"And all at once
It gets hard to take
It gets hard to fake what I won't be..."

2. Something Like Olivia



"I keep thinking something like Olivia
Is what I need to find
Now I'm not trying to steal
No lover away from no man..."

3. Whiskey Whiskey Whiskey



"Whiskey, whiskey, whiskey
Water, water, water
Sleep
Whiskey, whiskey, whiskey
Wake up, shake it off
And repeat..."
 
4. The Age of Worry



"No your fight is not within,
Yours is with your timing
Dream your dreams but don't pretend
Make friends with what you are..."

5. Love Is A Verb



"When you show me love, I don't need your words
Yeah, love ain't a thing, love is a verb..."

6. A Face To Call Home



"I am an architect
Of days that haven't happened yet..."

7. Shadow Days



"I'm a good man with a good heart
Had a tough time, got a rough start
And I finally learned to let it go
Now I'm right here, and I'm right now
And I'm hoping, knowing somehow
That my shadow days are over
My shadow days are over now..."

8. Everything You'll Ever Be



*I'm just going to put the whole song's lyrics here because I just love this whole song so much.

Beautiful, I watch you try,
To see yourself through other's eyes.
But mirrors are a losing game,
They only show you backwards anyway.

The magic and the misery,
Come and go so easily.
But everything you'll ever be,
You already are to me.

And you were only five years old,
Playing princess in your mother's clothes.
Could you feel me standing next to you,
With my plastic sword and playground shoes.

Saying "If my dear I'm wrong somehow,
May dragons come and fell me now.
'Cause everything you'll ever be,
You already are to me."

Why, I don't know why.
I don't know why you think you need to do it.
How, I don't know how.
I don't know how but I just sit back and I see my way right through it.

When the memories are ten feet tall,
Throwing shadows on your bedroom wall.
When you pull the shades and kill the lights,
Will you hear me singing out tonight?
Will you hear me singing out tonight?

Days are long and words are cruel,
But they won't get the best of you.
'Cause everything you'll ever be,
You have always been to me.
Always been to me.

***

Video credits:
1-4 from violetskyye
5-8 from chaferbud

No comments :

Post a Comment