Saturday, February 19, 2011

Art in the Park 2011

WeeWillDoodle... doodling in the park

I've heard about this before, but it's my first time going. Based from what I've seen today, this won't be my last.

My friend and I went to the Jaime Velasquez Park in Salcedo Village, Makati to join hundreds of people in browsing through the wonderful artworks displayed in The Art in the Park - a once in a year event hosted by the Museum Foundation of the Philippines. It aims to provide a relaxed atmosphere for people to explore Filipino artwork and meet the artists. It's a really good idea, actually. I don't know about you, but I sometimes find it so intimidating to go into those galleries with their spartan, minimalistic setting. I always think that those art pieces displayed there are too expensive for me. Well, in Art in the Park, all artworks have a ceiling price of Php 20,000 so you can feel free to find something within your budget.

Picturesque?

I especially enjoyed the watercolor paintings displayed by the different art galleries there. Unfortunately, they were still out of my budget. TT__TT There was one particular artwork that made my heart bleed because I wasn't able to get it. It was an artwork by artist named Alfred Galura. Ms. Elain Herbosa of L'Arc en Ciel gallery told us that he already has a following and that the artworks displayed were really bargains. It was supposed to sell for 4ok, but they were selling it at 20k because of the art fair's ceiling price. I must say, it really was a bargain. I envy the woman who was able to buy the painting.

Another thing that caught my fancy were the quirky art displays. There was this particular chair that was painted with dragonflies and I really could see it in my bedroom. I asked and it was selling for Php 5,000. Unfortunately, it was also snapped up by another buyer. (Seeing a pattern here?)

I wonder if the people who bought this would be able to sit on them...

There were also wonderful potteries that I wanted but I couldn't figure out where to put them in my teenie weenie condo unit so I had to let them go. I think I'm regretting it now, though.

I thought that I was going to go home with nothing but on our third tour around, my friend and I came upon this sketch by an FEU student.

So nice, isn't it? Only Php 1,400!

A lady there had it in her hand, but she graciously let us have it. I think she was almost selling it to us! She told us that when you buy an artwork from students or people in general, you have to ask whether he or she has joined and won any contests. That's how you know that the artist may be the next Juan Luna and his artwork is going to be an investment. The one who drew this particular sketch had already joined and won several contests, I think. But I don't really care that much about those things. I just really, really like it. At the end of the day, that's what matters, isn't it?

But taking a cue from the wise lady, we went around talking to the artists and asking them what was their inspiration, how long they took to make that painting, where is that scenery from... It was really fun and the artists, too, I think had the most fun of all. I'm thinking it's such a nice feeling seeing people you don't know compliment your work. Art is to be appreciated, after all.

I also ended up buying some note cards that were inspired by Juan Luna's Espana y Filipinas. I bought it because it's just so pretty and they fit in my girly, flowery mood board.

Sorry for the sucky pic from my phone cam. They're really pretty, though.

All the creativity going on in that place made me just want to pick up a paintbrush already. I wonder if, someday, I will be able to sell something there too. Haha... Well, it doesn't hurt to dream.

***

Some websites you may want to visit:
Art in the Park Facebook page
weewilldoodle.multiply.com
miacasal.weebly.com
larcencielgallery.blogspot.com
www.artinformal.com
www.museumfoundationph.org

No comments :

Post a Comment