Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Pieta between Guadalupe and Cubao

Michelangelo's Pietà

I was riding the MRT today when I happened to notice the person sitting opposite me.

He was a thin man. Not quite young, but not old either. Maybe in his late twenties to early thirties. He was wearing faded blue jeans and a bright yellow shirt with Spongebob Squarepants on it - the one you can buy on one of the stalls in Divisoria. On his back was a tattered blue backpack and on his feet were a pair of black sandals or slippers that showed his unevenly cut toenails.

He had his eyes closed, though probably not asleep, as he was carrying his sleeping daughter in his arms, in a pose that reminded me so much of Michelangelo's Pieta.

I've seen the real one before, many years ago, and was moved at its presence. Today's scene moved me in almost the same way. I felt the love from the father to his little daughter who felt safe enough to sleep in his arms in a public place. I wondered about this family's life - where did they live and what job did he have? Are they living well?

It's always on my mind whenever such things are discussed that people shouldn't have children when they can't afford to raise them, when they aren't ready for the responsibility. I still maintain in that thinking, for there are too many reasons, like the children starving even now, to think otherwise. But what I saw today made me think that, ah! at least this one is loved.

And so, in the midst of the hustle of the train and the bustle of the people on it, I said a little prayer that good things happen to this family. May the parents raise their children with wisdom and their children grow to be good citizens of this country... and may they always have love and happiness in their lives.

No comments :

Post a Comment