Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Film & Fashion: Rear Window

credit: ryy79 on YoutTube

Neighbors can be a bitch. Or sometimes, like in the 1954 Hitchcock film Rear Window, they can be wife-murdering bastards.

This classic thriller from the Master of Suspense is about a photographer named Jeff (played by one of my favorites James Stewart) who amuses himself by spying on his neighbors as he recuperates from a broken leg. Things get serious when he begins to suspect that one of them killed his wife and might be getting away with murder. (Yes, kids, Disturbia was just a modern retelling of this one.)

"They all said at first that she was too cold, sexless. But to me she was always... a snow-covered volcano."
Alfred Hitchcock on Grace Kelly

The divine Grace Kelly plays Lisa Fremont, his high society (hah! get it?) girlfriend, who tries to collect evidence and solve the crime while wearing an oh-my-god enviable wardrobe. Well, there's no rule that says otherwise, right?

The one responsible for making these wonderful outfits is costume designer Edith Head who has the distinction of winning eight Academy Awards which is the most in history. She definitely deserves it for this one and I'll be sure to check out the rest of her works.

A dress fit for a Princess.

On the other hand, there is Grace Kelly who I absolutely adore. I consider her as one of the most beautiful people who ever graced (pardon the pun) the movie screen. Even though everyone was happy when she became a real life princess by marrying into the Monaco royal family, it's also a pity that she didn't make movies anymore.

She asks, "How do I look?" Honey, do you even have to ask?

She climbs over a fire-escape railing in this dress!

This is my favorite out of all the outfits. I'm in love with this dress. The florals, the sheerness, the skirt... it's just so perfect. I want to go to picnic wearing this dress complete with the hat and everything. I want to learn how to sew just so I can own a dress like that. But if you're like me who can't sew a straight line, just check out these similar dresses I found in Mango's Spring 2011 Nude Collection Lookbook. I know I will.

It's just the long skirt and it's not as yellow as Grace Kelly's dress, but I think it really looks similar.

I guess this is a short dress version of that skirt.

No comments :

Post a Comment